Friday, August 7, 2009

Two Day Countdown

As my father so lovingly pointed out today, I haven't posted anything in a while, and as he put it, no one is going to follow my blog if I don't write anything. But frankly, I've been quite busy! Going to Africa is a lot of work!

Believe it or not, my packing is fairly complete and neither of my suitcases weigh over the designated 50 pound mark! Rolling clothes instead of folding really does work wonders. I'm not sure I get the physics of it, but it's true, I promise. All of my clothes fit in about half a suitcase. The rest is filled with towels, lysol wipes, gallons of sunscreen, and a pot to boil the diseases out of the water. One of my favorite things are the fun little gifts for the African children. I've been told that in marketplaces and rural villages, the children will flock to Americans with the hopes of getting small presents. I've come prepared. I'm bringing crayons, markers, stickers, Lifesavers, gum, cars, and hairbands. Hopefully they'll trade me a crayon for a picture.

It's strange to think that in three days I'll be in a different continent. I keep saying it over and over to myself. I'm going to Africa. AFRICA. AFFFRRIIICAAA. It's like I'm trying to convince myself of it. Interestingly enough, I'm not freaking out yet. I know logically that leaving the US to go to Africa for a semester is a BIG deal, but it doesn't feel that big. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet. But I've been preparing for it so long, I feel like I've thought of everything. Impossible, I know, but I'm not that worried. It's an adventure. Things will work out. Problems will be solved. I will be fine. I know this in my head, so I'm not freaking out. Come Sunday, I might have a different story for you.

My flight leaves from St. Louis Sunday evening, stops in Chicago (where I meet the rest of the group), Heathrow, and then arrives in Accra, Ghana Monday evening. I'm excited for the plane. Weird, right? Who likes traveling for 24 hours? But I've always thought plane rides are exciting. Especially the take-off and landing. It reminds me of a rollercoaster--and I LOVE rollercoasters. Plus, on this flight there will be movies (yay!) and meals! I've never been served airplane food before! I know, I know, it's not known for its quality, but I still think it's fun. And again, come Monday, I might not have the same sentiments, but for right now, I'm looking forward to it.

They supposedly are going to give me a phone card to use when I arrive in Ghana to call home on Monday. So hopefully, Mom and Dad will hear from me around 2 pm cst on Monday. I'm sure they'll call the immediate relatives, but if you haven't heard from them and are curious, feel free to give them a call. I'll try to get online sometime within the first few days to let everyone know I got there safely, but I don't give any guarantees! Who knows what crazy things they'll be keeping us busy with!

I love you all and thank you for everyone's support. It's comforting to know that I'll have so many people at home sending me good thoughts across the ocean. I will miss you!

2 comments:

  1. EMILLLLLYYYYY I am so excited for youuuu (and pretty jealous)!!!! I know you will have an amazing time and you best keep this updated because I want to know what's going on in your life over thurr!

    h-girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily will fill you in more fully when she gets time, but just a quick update - we did drop her in St. Louis yesterday. We spend some time with her in the terminal, but then she decided to go to the gate. The flight was delayed about two hours due to storms in Chicago, but since she had a three hour layover, that worked out OK. She did call us from Chicago to say she arrived and met with her Truman staff who is going on the trip. Jeanne's obsession with the web/airlines indicates her flight to Heathrow landed only 15 minutes late (delayed again in Chicago) and that it left for Ghana about 9:10am our time this morning. Emily should be landing in Ghana in about five hours.

    ReplyDelete