Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Flowing once again

Water, water, water, water, water! Those are the words that are being joyously shouted around the hostel this afternoon. After four solid days sans water, us American kids are ecstatic with this afternoon's announcement. Amazingly, they got the toilets all emptied out too. I don't know when or HOW they did that awful job, but they are empty and flushable! People are taking showers left and right, filling up buckets to save for our next outage, and I even saw one girl mopping her room floor. Personally, I took this chance to do some laundry. That's right folks, today I hand washed 8 shirts, 3 towels, 4 pairs of underwear, a washcloth, and a bra. It was exhausting. My wets are currently hanging on one of the many drying lines in our courtyard, waiting to be blown dry by the wild African breeze.

5 comments:

  1. YAY! H20!!! (way to go on the hand washing btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty happy to hear about this too....I hated to think of you and those smelly bathrooms in the heat and humidity. Makes you appreciate the basics, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so are you going to tell us about what "going to meet the chief" means and the other phrases you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily! Helen just tipped me off to your blog and I'm so glad you decided to do something like this! It's such a good way to keep everyone updated while you are on your African adventure. I have put it in my daily rotation of websites, which puts you in the company of some very prominent people-like Perez Hilton-and am excited to hear about your daily adventures.
    I hope all is well in Ghana!

    -Laura G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I should come to Ghana if the water turns off regularly. I would finally be around people who are like me. I MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete