Wednesday, July 15, 2009

More shots and pills...

I got my second round of shots today. With these shots and finishing up an oral vaccine yesterday, I currently have a little case of typhoid, meningitis, and yellow fever. The typhoid put up a bit of a fight, but I think my body won out. These vaccines better do their jobs. I'll be angry if I come home with a crazy disease.

I'm feeling pretty out of the loop about the trip, to tell you the truth. As Mom and Dad are well aware, for example, I still have yet to receive an invoice saying how much we owe for this whole thing. They were supposed to send it out in early June, and then they were waiting till they heard a final cost from U of G, then the international director from U of G was vacationing for a while, and so I still haven't heard. I'm assuming that they will let me know if they have been waiting for our payment for a long time, like if the invoice got lost in the mail or something, but it still makes me nervous. Truman's Study Abroad Office isn't known for their efficiency. I think I'm going to have to make another call in the next couple of days if I still haven't heard anything. It's getting pretty close, you know?

And then there's the fact that I have no idea what I'll be doing once I get over there. No idea what classes will be offered, who I'll be living with, or how traveling is going to work. I know that the first weekend after classes start we're taking a group trip to Cape Coast to visit the slave port and Kakum National Park (where the canopy walkways are!), but that's the only trip that's planned, I believe. I don't know if we are supposed to plan the other trips we want to take on our own, or if there will be other group excursions.

Perhaps I'm being dramatic. Of course I don't know what's going on. I'm going to be in a foreign country. And truthfully, for the most part, I don't mind the not-knowing terribly. It's meant to be an adventure, right?

I've been spending some time on the U of G website (http://www.ug.edu.gh) getting acquainted, and it's funny that I didn't realize how big the university is. There are about four times as many students at U of G than at Truman. There's information about shuttles going around campus. Shuttles around campus? For that matter, Roads around campus? Who heard of such a thing? It's going to be an adjustment to get used to a bigger university, regardless of the fact that it's on a different continent.

1 comment:

  1. Emily! I'm so excited for you...you are going to have a great time on this adventure! I talked to one of my friends from grad school who has family in Ghana and was just there visiting. I asked him where he recommends and he said you need to go to osu castle (where obama was?), pleasure beach, and accra mall. He didn't know a whole lot about accra, but said that the locals there are so friendly and will gladly give suggestions too! If you can get away, he highly recommended Kumasi. I'd be happy to give you his contact info if you'd like!

    Enjoy your last few weeks in the states :)

    ReplyDelete