Sunday, August 23, 2009

Classes and roommate...? Maybe?

So I have now been in Africa for two weeks (craaaaazy) and I have yet to start real classes and my roommate has not yet moved in. I met her yesterday, so I know she exists, but she told me she was moving in today and has yet to show up (it's after 9 already...). Her name is Amoko, although I have no idea if that's how it's spelled. Presumably I'll learn that soon. I'm pretty sure she's Ghanaian... From our brief interaction she seems really nice, so I'm excited!
Tomorrow begins our first "real" week of classes, the week that the local students and professors decide to show up. So bright and early tomorrow morning (I'll leave around 6:45) I'm off to English in Ghana and then after that, I'll have 5 minutes to run across campus to get to Gender Studies in Ghana. I assuming that I'll be late. But I'm also assuming that really won't be a big deal.

Since a couple people asked, going to greet the chief DOES mean going to the bathroom (way to go Mom). He explained it that you have loyalty to both the chief and to the toilet (you have to visit both regularly) AND that when the chief/the bladder calls, you have to answer pretty quick or you're in trouble. The other two expressions, both the cocoa farm and a woman's wealth, mean the same thing: a lady's...area... While men have no choice but to work to earn money, a woman can choose to work or have her husband work for her. She already is wealthy. (I have a little bit of a hard time with that one, but it's a fun new euphemism.)

Oh! Big news: I tried Fufu the other night. My first impression: not great. Fufu is basically a strange tasting lump of bread dough (actually cassava dough, but the same consistancy of bread dough. or gooey play-do, which is what it reminded me of, going down), covered in a spicy broth and a slab of meat, in my case, beef. Here's the tricky thing though. They don't give you silverware for this meal. Ghanaians eat it with their hands. And so do Americans who don't bring their own fork to dinner. PLUS it's rude to touch food directly with your left hand, so all the action happens with the right. Let me tell you, ripping apart a slab of kinda fatty beef is HARD with one hand. Super hard. And the soup was really spicy for my wimpy tastebuds. I managed to eat about half of it, and I'm really glad I tried it, but I don't know that I'll be ordering it again any time soon.

Last night we attended the International Programmes Welcome Durbar, which was so much fun! They had lots of wonderful food for us, as well as a great group of drummers and a dance group. African performing arts are so amazing. So much energy! They ended the night with a Highlife band (a popular music genre in West Africa) for us to dance to. It was a very fun evening.

3 comments:

  1. Well that was a pretty eventful few days! Glad to hear you finally tasted Fufu....not sure I could have made it go down...but that's part of the experience right? Facing new and different challenges!

    I'll be anxious to hear about your classes. Wear your good running shoes!

    Well, gotta go...time to go greet the chief...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you post pictures on your blog? I am sure many of us would love to see pictures of your new home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping that yes, I will be able to post pictures. That was actually my plan today... but I can't until I can get wireless on my computer and the man with the wireless password is out to lunch. Lunch is a long time. But hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete