Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dad-a-roo in GH

I've been harassed about only writing one post in October, so I am now attempting to slightly remedy that. I've had good excuses, I promise. First of all, we were without electricity on campus for about 12 days. For the first couple days it was really sporadic, but then it got into a structure of academic buildings lit during the day and residences at night, so most of the computer labs were non-functional. I think it's back to normal now, but I can never be completely sure.
Secondly, and more dominantly, DAD AND JEANA WERE HERE! This two consumed all my time for a good eight days, let me tell you. Fortunately, it was a wonderful eight days, so blog-writing wasn't my top priority. A little play-by-play of the week:

On Tuesday evening, Ashley and I headed down to the Kotoka International Airport, armed with my "DAD" greeting sign to meet their plane. Thankfully, it was only 20 or 30 minutes late, so we were able to settle them in to the Guest Center on campus before it got too late. The Guest Center rooms were lovely! Two twin beds in each, three armchairs, tv, lockable closet, fridge, desk, and full bathroom, situated on the breezy second floor. I stayed with dad for three of the nights and it was very enjoyable.
Wednesday, we headed down to Accra central to explore some of the tourist sights. Dad and Jeana were able to experience their first tro-tro ride, which was a bit of a shock for them, I think. I am happy to report, however, that both truly enjoyed the tro-tro experience by the end of the week. We went to the National Museum (which was wonderful!) and the Nkrumah Masoleum while we were down there, as well as lunch at a delicious and bountiful buffet.
Thursday, I took them up to the Madina Market, which is like most open-air markets in Ghana, but somewhat less intimidating than the bigger Makola Market in downtown Accra. We shopped and walked around there for the afternoon.
Friday, we headed out to Cape Coast. Unfortunately, most of Friday was spent sitting at the bus station waiting for our bus, which I informed them was a part of the typical Ghanaian experience. Once we got to Cape Coast, however, we spent the weekend visiting Kakum National Park, and both castles. It was somewhat of a repeat trip for me, but I have to say, we had better guides at each place than I had last time, and the weekend was a sunny one! I had no problem redoing the trip.
UH OH. I have a meeting to run to that I almost forgot about! I will have to save the rest of the week to report on later!

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait for the rest of the story... and I was there! Emily, you get the highest possible marks as a tour guide. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete