Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pictures!

Okay, fingers crossed that this post will work. After almost three and a half weeks here, I think I finally found good enough internet access for my laptop to post a few pictures. Like I already told the fam, I'm not going to post many yet, because I want everyone to have rapt attention during my many slideshows after I'm back in the states! But to keep you interested, here are a few shots of my experience so far:

BAM. Picture #1!!! This is a picture I took my first day in Ghana. It was a "Look, I'm in Africa!!!" picture. It's taken from my balcony. Not a terrific view, but much better than those who have a view of the parking lot! It only took 15 minutes to upload. Let's try this again.







Picture numero dos: A view of the inside courtyard of my hostel. I am indeed on the top floor, and despite the flights of stairs, I really love it up there. Wonderful breeze and no misquitos. Notice in the middle of the bottom part of the picture there is a giant AIDS poster. I believe it says "HIV/AIDS can shatter your dreams. Protect yourself!" These posters are everywhere in Ghana. There in all the hostels, randomly posted around campus, on billboards on the highway, everywhere.



Here's an image of my first meal in Ghana. And my second ... and my third ... This is pretty much the meal that everyone eats on a regular basis. Like at least once a day. Jollof rice, chicken, plantains, spaghetti, and a sauce they call gravy (although nothing like gravy we're used to). It may seem like it gets boring, but I'll be honest, yesterday afternoon I had a craving for Jollof and plantains... I may be turning Ghanaian.





Here's a shot of me on one of the canopy bridges at Kakum National Park! We were hundreds of meters above the ground, suspended between treehouse-like platforms. I loved every minute of it. I wish we got to see more wildlife (besides the killer ants), but it was fun all the same.









Okay, so I was going to post one more picture of our entire Missouri Africa Program group, but of course the internet really doesn't want to let me do that. I tried 5 times. Oh well, I think four pictures is pretty good! More later!

4 comments:

  1. Fun to see it finally! Thanks for persisting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like uploading photos is a task, but keep 'em coming. The more the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I realized I exaggerated a bit about the height of the canopies and just wanted to clarify before someone called me out on it. Actually 40m above ground, not hundreds. My bad. Felt like hundreds though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, it's that metric/english thing. 40m is more than 100', so you weren't so far off.

    ReplyDelete